Campaigning since 2006 from London for the closure of the Guantánamo Bay prison camp, the release of all prisoners, and an end to extraordinary rendition
Update: There's still been no comment from the military or response to my questions submitted on Sunday about this surprise weekend transfer and consolidation of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. Such a contrast from the last time they did this...
https://t.co/i4Wcnkq34a
Cancelled: Next week's pretrial hearing in the Bali bombing case, due to changing personnel on Mr. Hambali's defense team. An Al Qaeda jurisdiction question with potential witness testimony was on the docket. Now the next hearing is Oct. 21-25. https://t.co/idGogkem2a
Deep divers: Here is a link to a legal motion that seeks to unseal at least portions of the pretrial agreements in the Sept. 11 case at Guantanamo Bay. Seven news organizations filed the petition at the military commissions yesterday.
https://t.co/c5WD4XdgES
Explainer: A look at the issues confronting the judge in the 9/11 case ahead of resumption of pretrial hearings next week at Guantanamo Bay. https://t.co/kZjYDa5yCO
https://t.co/paMazr3O32 Two dozen former Guantanamo detainees expelled from Oman to Yemen at risk of danger & persecution, says report - alleged transfers of prisoners put on hold last year due to Israel war on Gaza were supposed to be to Oman...
The ACLU may sue over the withdrawal of 9/11 plea deals, as political pressures and legal requirements strain an already unwieldy prosecution effort: https://t.co/MWWXvyXXHW
Good morning from Camp Justice at Guantanamo Bay on this, Week 4 of this 51st round of pretrial hearings in the Sept. 11 case. And it has been an eventful one, indeed. Today's news up first: Today's session was cancelled because there's Covid at the prison.
Suddenly, a case that had drifted from public consciousness in 12 years of pretrial proceedings was back in the spotlight and no closer to the trial that some relatives of the nearly 3,000 victims had been aching for at Guantánamo Bay. w/Eric Schmitt.
https://t.co/H1FjwqKq58
In a stunning reversal, the Secretary of Defense revoked plea deals reached with 9/11 conspirators this week "in light of the significance of the decision."
Defense teams likely to claim "unlawful influence" as the historic case returns to uncertainty: https://t.co/MWWXvyXXHW
A dirty move by @SecDef to withdraw #Guantanamo plea deals, robbing victim family members of their only chance for justice and accountability for 9/11.
Righteously said: “Politics and command influence should play no role in this legal proceeding. Yet, Secretary Austin dishonored an agreement reached after years of hard work and painstaking consultation by all the parties involved”. ACLU Statement. https://t.co/YrGFMa6ODU
#Guantanamo plea bargain deal is off after two days! @jwellsdixon of @theCCR accused Austin on Friday of "bowing to political pressure and pushing some victim family members over an emotional cliff" by rescinding the deal https://t.co/709qicUekl
Astounding decision tonight by Sec’y Austin @DeptofDefense to withdraw #Guantanamo plea agreements and push 9/11 victim family members over an emotional cliff. Wait for prosecutors to resign and defendants to seek dismissal of all charges for unlawful command influence.
Recapping tonight's big breaking news is... The Defense Secretary, back two days from a trip to Asia, pushed aside the retired Army brigadier general he put in charge of the war court and revoked the 9/11 plea deal she had signed as overseer of the case.
https://t.co/8PozAyRNcq