#Somali troops push militiamen out of #Baidoa after fierce fighting
Somali federal troops drove opposition forces out of one of the country's biggest cities, Baidoa, on Monday, following heavy clashes that left many people dead, residents told Reuters.
Baidoa, which is home to hundreds of thousands of people displaced by conflict and hunger in other areas, was shaken by hours of fighting between the federal soldiers and opposition forces loyal to the former president of #South_West state, Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed Laftagareen.
Residents said the clashes in the city centre on Monday were the fiercest since March, when federal forces seized control of Baidoa after Laftagareen's administration said it was severing ties with the federal government. Laftagareen then resigned from office.
Already struggling to contain a two-decade-old insurgency by the al Shabaab militant group and stave off famine, the federal government has been facing growing armed resistance from state governments.
State authorities have rejected Mogadishu's influence over state elections and rejected constitutional changes they say concentrate power in the hands of the executive.
Somalia's defence ministry said in a statement that troops in Baidoa had come under attack before dawn by fighters using vehicles laden with explosives. It said its forces had driven the assailants out of Baidoa, killing about 30 of them.
Videos posted on social media and verified by Reuters showed federal soldiers firing from the back of an armoured vehicle and people carrying injured civilians through the streets.
Four Baidoa residents said federal troops had driven the opposition fighters out of town, and reported seeing dead bodies.
"I saw 10 dead people including four civilians and six soldiers from both groups," local elder Farah Ibrahim told Reuters.
Laftagareen's camp, which earlier in the morning said on Facebook that its forces had captured the city centre, could not be immediately reached for comment.
Baidoa faces a dire humanitarian crisis, with one in four children at its displacement sites severely malnourished, according to a July survey by the French medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres. (Reuters)
The people of Tigray, throughout Tigray, are engaging in peaceful demonstrations to urge the international community to ensure the full implementation of the Pretoria Cessation of Hostilities Agreement. They emphasize the importance of restoring the constitutional sovereignty of Tigray as it was on November 4, 2020. Furthermore, they advocate for the immediate return and reintegration of millions of internally displaced people (IDPs) into their communities and economic activities. #ይኣክል! (#Ya'akel!) #EnoughIsEnough!
@SenateGOP@SenateDems@SecRubio@SenateForeign@antonioguterres
commonalities. It’s not entirely implausible to believe that this will indeed yield results- & positive ones. Despite battlecries from the usual anti-Pretoria quarters from near or afar to resort to Saber-rattling as their preferred path, peace/talking is the only games in town!
agreement trying to take advantage
of real or perceived differences to derail the rather cordial engagement both parties to the Pretoria agreement are making round the clock to make the Agreement work. Our two sides are now convening in Addis to address challenges & build on
Developments in Southern Tigray-& other occupied territories of Tigray-are not about a conflict between the Federal Government &the interim Administration/or TPLF. Nor is this a conflict between Tigray & Amhara Administrations. This is the work of diehard enemies of the Pretoria
Tigray Denounces Amhara Incorporation of Occupied Territories
BREAKING: #Tigray labeled #Amhara region's incorporation of “Tigray lands into its educational curriculum and regional maps” as an “irresponsible campaign to disintegrate and destroy Tigray.”
https://t.co/FDKmFAsazA
The African Union is hosting a strategic review of the implementation of the Pretoria Cessation of Hostilities Agreement between the Government of Ethiopia and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF). This is going to be a forum where the two parties, members of the AU panel
as well as the observers-UN,EU,IGAD and the US will take stock of the status of the implementation of the Pretoria agreement. If we are to achieve lasting peace in Ethiopia & in the region, the fullest possible implementation of the agreement is an imperative hence the need for a
serious review of the COHA with a view to fully addressing the legitimate constitutional demands of the people of Tigray w/o which sustainable peace in Ethiopia or in the entire region will remain but a pipe dream. This is long over due & we should do everything to make it work.
Hundreds Died of Hunger In Central Tigray
It's already been ravaged by war. Now, #Tigray is on the verge of famine—with at least 2m people at risk of starvation. Aid agencies are comparing the crisis to the mid-1980s—when a famine killed up to 1m people.
A very good piece by Mulugeta Berhe: Tigray’s Ceasefire Fifteen Months On: An agreement for peace or an instrument for continuing the objectives of the war in a different way? https://t.co/q2oPTjMJk3
EHRC Plays Down Amhara Ethnic Cleansing In #Tigray
Pro-Amhara @EthioHRC in it's latest report labeled the systematic and ongoing forcible removal of thousands of ethnic Tigrayans from areas under the occupation of genocidal #Amhara forces as 'isolated'. 1/https://t.co/ytODdwhLq9
Tigrayan territories are still under brutal occupation, >1 million still displaced, hundreds are dying due to man made hunger,the federal gov’t flatly denied death due to hunger in #Tigray. In the midst of this, focusing only on DDR is just ignoring the main issue. @MikeHammerUSA
Hunger is killing a lot of IDPs💔
Thousands of Tigrayans have been imprisoned, slain, or drove out by force since the invaders took over Western #Tigray in the early months of the war,& many more were compelled to flee.
#TigrayCantWait@WFPChief@unicefchief@PowerUSAID@UNGeneva
Oxfam: 3.5 Million People In Tigray on the Brink of Famine
Despite a ceasefire in Nov 2022, btw #Ethiopia and #Tigray, more than 3.5m people in Tigray are on the brink of famine. Oxfam warns of growing hunger crisis in Tigray as families resort to extreme measures to survive. 1/
Ethnic #Tigray!an Ex-ENDF Members Still Languishing In Prisons
Ex-members of the ENDF—inc many high-ranking officers—told BBC that they're still languishing in prisons across Ethiopia, in Amhara, Oromia, Sidama, Benishangul, Addis, Dredawa and other areas.https://t.co/z7OrrGDbkp
President #Getachew_Reda urges for immediate action on #Tigrai's multifaceted challenges in a meeting with Council Chair of #IOM and Deputy Regional Director for #IOM East and Horn of #Africa
Thanks, @JackieLongc4, for shedding light on the heartbreaking famine tragedy in #Tigray on @Channel4News. This crisis, claiming thousands of lives, urgently needs global attention.
Watch the full report here: https://t.co/ospl43yxMc
@reda_getachew#TigrayFamine