Payments given to farmers under a number of schemes will increase from 70% to 75% which the Minister for Agriculture Martin Heydon said will assist farmers with cash flow
https://t.co/IU01vxDb6R
Footage released by the UK's Border Security Command shows migrants clashing with police on a beach in northern France, with an officer slashing a small boat with a knife.
Sky's @joncraig looks at the context behind the incident.
Read more: https://t.co/U9z4DwhLro
Government U-Turns on Fuel Duty Hikes as Protest Threats and Viral Outrage Force Early Dáil Recall
The Irish government has confirmed it will extend existing temporary fuel supports beyond September rather than ending them as previously planned.
In a statement, officials said the reductions in fuel excise duty and the National Oil Reserves Agency (NORA) levy, originally extended in June with a gradual return to normal rates starting 1 September, will continue. The scheduled increases on 1 September and 1 October will not proceed.
Next steps will be finalised by the government next week. An incorporeal Cabinet meeting is planned for next week, after which the Dáil will be recalled early from its summer break to pass the necessary financial resolution. The return could come as soon as Friday 28 August, about two weeks ahead of the original schedule.
The decision comes against a backdrop of growing ministerial unease, as reported earlier this week by the Irish Daily Mail. Sources monitoring social-media networks linked to the April protests have warned that organisers are “becoming active again.” Public pressure has intensified alongside signs that fuel demonstrators are preparing to mobilise once more if the increases are reapplied.
Viral videos posted around the Tullamore Show by SnDMedia, featuring fuel spokespersons John Dallon, Christopher Duffy and James Geoghehan, had already drawn over 3 million views and 4,500 comments. While most comments expressed anger at the government rather than firm plans to protest, there were repeated calls for renewed action.These posts and the public reaction they generated were discussed by Fianna Fáil Cabinet members.
One senior Fianna Fáil figure noted public frustration over “giving Zelensky this, that and the other and then riding the public, us, to pay for it.”
Fuels For Ireland chief Kevin McPartlan cautioned that a second wave of protests could prove more socially divisive than the 1984 British miners’ strike, describing the mood as “far more emotive” and warning it could open the door to an “Irish Farage.” Ministers have been told it would be “politically impossible” to restore full excise duties if oil prices stay elevated.
The current supports were expanded after hauliers and farmers staged protests that disrupted the country in April. Those measures raised temporary cuts to 32c per litre on diesel and 27c on petrol within a broader €750 million package, with the intention of phasing them out in the autumn.
The government said it has monitored the Middle East situation since the conflict began and reserved the right to adjust its response. Its phased approach has delivered one of the largest fiscal interventions among EU states this year, aimed at lowering pump prices, helping those at risk of energy poverty, and supporting key economic sectors.
Officials stressed they will remain flexible, adding that the most effective long-term economic help would be de-escalation in the Middle East.
Armed Unit Responded in Donegal over Threat to Behead Woman and Possession of Taser
A man in his 50s has been remanded in custody after allegedly threatening to cut off a woman’s head and being found in possession of a taser.
The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons to protect the alleged victim, appeared at Donegal District Court in Ballyshannon. He faces charges linked to an incident in April this year.
He is accused of making a threat to kill, contrary to section 5 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997. He is also charged with possessing a Kelon K95 taser disguised as a mobile phone, an offence under the Firearms Acts.
When charged, the man confirmed he understood the allegations. His solicitor, Mark Mullaney, was present, and an interpreter assisted him in court.
The Director of Public Prosecutions directed that the case could be handled in the District Court.
Judge Ciaran Liddy accepted jurisdiction after hearing a summary of the facts.Gardaí were called to a reported incident. On arrival, the woman told officers the man had threatened to cut her head off.
She was described as very distressed. The Armed Support Unit was called in, and the man was arrested. The woman also reported that he had a taser and handcuffs. The device was later examined and classified as a firearm.
Judge Liddy adjourned the case to a later date.
INDIAN George arrived in Ireland with his wife & kid 10 days ago.
He came to work in the NCT.
Yesterday he was caught in a peado sting talking sexually to a 13 year old girl.
@Polito_loco 2 tier policing at its finest Kirk. So sorry to hear about all the abuse you're receiving has to be so stressful. Many congratulations on your wedding hopefully it didn't ruin your day.
The gardai want to use 3rd party cctv feeds ( business, residential & other) to spy on you because Ireland is awash with crime & drug dealing .
You can have a say on the website. Submissions must be in by September 14th.