The EFL has sanctioned Sheffield Wednesday consistently since 2018.
Over that period, the club has been hit with multiple transfer embargoes spanning nearly a decade. By October 2025, Wednesday were under six simultaneous embargoes — the most any club has ever faced.
On top of that, the club has suffered repeated points deductions. A -12 deduction in 2020/21 severely damaged recruitment and momentum going into that season. Although it was later reduced to -6 on appeal, the damage had already been done — those points ultimately proved the difference between survival and relegation to League One.
In 2025, the situation worsened further. The club received:
•-12 points for entering administration, after the former owner failed to meet basic financial obligations such as paying wages and bills on time
•A further -6 point deduction, again due to the owner’s failure to uphold his responsibilities
This is not a case of a club gaining an unfair advantage — quite the opposite. The club has been placed at a significant competitive disadvantage for years due to sustained mismanagement.
Sheffield Wednesday has endured one of the most damaging ownership periods a club of its size is likely to experience. The former owner’s approach has not only harmed the club financially but also created a toxic environment for staff and supporters alike.
And yet, despite this, there is now an expectation that the same owner should be repaid — while the club continues to face further punishment.
How can that be justified?
The new ownership group should not be penalised for the failures of the previous regime. They should be given the opportunity to restore stability to a club that has lacked it for nearly 26 years.
Imposing further sanctions — such as another -15 point deduction, spending caps, business plan restrictions, and transfer limitations — would only deepen the damage. It risks condemning the club to yet another relegation and prolonging the cycle of instability.
At some point, there has to be recognition that continued punishment is no longer corrective — it is excessive.
The club, its staff, and its supporters deserve the chance to move forward.
#FairDealForWednesday
@storchyowl
It’s so incredibly sad what it’s come to at Sheffield Wednesday. These fans, and hundreds of people who work at the football club, deserve so much better.
@maxrushden@KieranMaguire Morecambe 105 years old - gone
Sheffield Wednesday - 150 years on the brink of going, but I’ve been told thousands of times that Liverpool have bid for Isak.
Cheap journalism, why isn’t there more coverage on matters that actually mean something in football?
@JB17998 @Sanny_Rudra@SkySportsNews@SkySports@MorecambeFC@swfc@EFL I understand your point but, specific target audience, this affects the entire EFL. It’s highlighting how poor the @EFL are as a foundation and their “fit and proper” tests clearly are a joke.
@JB17998 @Sanny_Rudra@SkySportsNews@SkySports@MorecambeFC@swfc@EFL Calm your Winston’s lad
So a 1 minute piece every 7 days is good coverage for 2 teams with over 100 years history, that are pretty much on the brink of going out of business is enough?
Yet I’ve been told Liverpool have had a £110m bid for Isak every 25 seconds…tweet nonsense
🔵 Wages delayed AGAIN for players and staff.
⚪️ Players reportedly ready to refuse to play.
🔵 17 first-team players gone this summer.
⚪️ North Stand unsafe to be used.
🔵 £72 for a home shirt.
⚪️ Embargoes in place.
Dejphon Chansiri is killing Sheffield Wednesday. 😢
#SWFC
@TonyBellew The judge that had it 96-93 for Dave Allen had it spot on, it’s fixed to make sure Fisher doesn’t lose his record and they’ve probably already set up another fight for him